Formal housing of apparatus and equipment came with the first organization of Delaware’s Fire protection in 1834. The space needed in the beginning was small but soon grew.
1831 First mention of Fire Department, June 17th nothing accomplished.
1834 Home of Henry Moore, Captain #1 District north of Winter Street. One hand engine.
1834 Home of Ed Potter, Captain #2 District south of Winter Street. One hand engine.
1838 Southwest corner of William and Sandusky Streets.
1838 Northwest corner of Central Avenue and North Franklin St.
1846 West end of the Market House in the center of West William Street about 20 feet west of S. Sandusky Street. This location was used to house the new Hunneman hand engine and hook and ladder.
1858 New brick structure built at Franklin and North (Central Ave.) Streets. Cost $1,500.
1858 New brick structure built at S. Washington St. and Hill (University Ave.) Street. This is the same land on which the present station is located (1991). Cost $1,500.
1868 New structure built for east side at the southeast corner of Lake S t. and E. Central A venue. Cost $3,300.
1882 Old City Hall was constructed with three bay fire station facing S. Sandusky Street (destroyed by fire in 1934). At this point all fire equipment housed under one roof.
Number two fire station built in 1908 on Potter St. on the east side of Delaware. It consisted of a one bay station and was used to house a horse-drawn ladder/chemical wagon. This station was abandoned in 1924 to bring all equipment to the City Hall station. This building is still standing on Potter St. and is used by the American Ambulance Co.
1908 East side station built on Potter Street. A two-family residence located on the property facing E. Central at the corner of Potter Street. The two firemen assigned to the station were required to live in this residence. Horse drawn hook and ladder and hose reel operated from this station. Cost of construction $3,767. This building is still standing and used by the American Ambulance Co. for emergency responses.
1924 Potter St. station abandoned with all apparatus and equipment transferred to the City Hall station. This resulted in the last horse drawn piece of equipment being abandoned.
1934 Old City Hall destroyed by fire, February, 1934.
1934 First temporary station in Paul B. White’s garage at 17 W. William St. This is presently the site of Office Supplies Unlimited.
1934 – 37 Second temporary station was in the Erlay Hatchery Building, 27 Spring St., presently occupied by Delaware Motive Auto parts business.
1937 New City Hall (present City Hall) completed on the site of the Old City Hall which had been destroyed by fire three years to the day of occupancy. A two-bay fire station, with living quarters above. Cost of entire building $90,000.
New fire station built on S. Liberty and University Ave. in 1972 (Jan. 29). It is a six bay station with 13,000 sq. ft. of space and drive through bays, built at a cost of $340,000. This is the first time the Fire Department has been located in a building used exclusively for the department. It contains living quarters, communications center, Officer’s offices, hose tower and storage spa
1972 New Central Fire Station completed on S. Liberty St. between University Avenue and Park Ave. Building was occupied Jan. 29, 1972. It contains 13,000 sq. feet with four drive through bays and two single bays -for Chief’s car and Emergency Squad. Cost $340,000.
Leave a Reply